Mojosmusings
7.16.2005
  Freeze Frame Interesting article in the NYT on George Lakoff who has clued the democrats into the power of "framing" the debate.

The most interesting part of this article is the "eight words":

''I can describe, and I've always been able to describe, what Republicans stand for in eight words, and the eight words are lower taxes, less government, strong defense and family values,'' Dorgan, who runs the Democratic Policy Committee in the Senate, told me recently. ''We Democrats, if you ask us about one piece of that, we can meander for 5 or 10 minutes in order to describe who we are and what we stand for. And frankly, it just doesn't compete very well. I'm not talking about the policies. I'm talking about the language.''


At the end of the article, Lakoff suggests eleven words for the Democrats: ''Stronger America, broad prosperity, better future, effective government and mutual responsibility.'' But, as Matt Bai points out, these are more vague concepts than the Republicans words. I like them, but they're not as clear.

So, how about:

"Fair Taxes, Good Services, Safe America, Fair Business Environment"

Needs work. Nancy Pelosi, if you're reading this, call me... 
Comments:
How about:

Greater equality
Caring government
International cooperation
Enlightened values

The funny thing is that while both lists are basically positive, they really do speak to two different world views. While the Democrats have always had a message problem relative to the Republicans (any party of the little guy which consistently loses the working class vote to the party of the rich has issues), I don't think the message is the problem. I think that there are simply more people with either money or conservative social values than those with liberal social values.

As for Pelosi, she's part of the problem. More beans than brains. Maybe when Bush fires Karl Rove, the Democrats can turn him to their side of the Force!
 
I like these. I think "Enlightened Values" might be threating to the heartland folks who seem to have abandoned the Enlightenment in droves. How about "Personal Freedom"?
 
I think you're right. Personal freedom sounds less threatening.

Now all you have to do is convince Pelosi to adopt this platform, and to pay me for coming up with it for her!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Too silly for Fusilli

ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / March 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / November 2009 / February 2012 /


Powered by Blogger