Mojosmusings
6.29.2005
  GOHOVATHEAH MY LORD, GOHOVATHEAH The NYT today profiles a Secular Summer-camp.

It seems that growing up secular-humanist in the the Red States is quite a trial for many kids, and this is a safe haven for them. I didn't realize that finding a non-religious summer camp was particularly hard, but apparently it is...

Growing up in NYC in the 70's and 80's, I don't think I actually knew any in-your-face religious people, certainly not Christians. I didn't meet any until I got to college.

And when I did meet them, my HS Bible class (acknowledged by a Harvard B.A., U.Mich Classics Ph. D friend of mine to be the best class he ever took) gave me enough scripture to quote for my purpose, plus a whole boatload of documentary hypothesis.

But of course, you can't win an argument with someone who just wants to save your soul. You're better off just playing Tetris or something.

Anyway, I'm glad that geographically isolated rationalists have somewhere to hang out until they get old enough to move to the coasts. Hang in there, kids.

Of course, now that I'm a parent, I'm a Unitarian. There are no atheists in delivery rooms, or single-prop planes with 6-month pregnant wives.  
Comments:
I remember once saying this to one of the folks who were trying to convert me:

"So I'm down with this whole being Christian thing, with a few caveats. I'm not sure Jesus was the son of God. I don't believe that the Bible is the direct divinely inspired word of God. And I reserve the right to not follow any of the teachings or commandments that I disagree with. But other than that, call me Christian."

He seemed rather disappointed, and claimed that I was missing the point.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Too silly for Fusilli

ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / March 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / November 2009 / February 2012 /


Powered by Blogger